Friday, October 2, 2015

October is...... Breast Cancer Awareness Month


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month - both my mum and her sister has suffered from breast cancer so I can not turn my back to this cause. The doctors claim that I might get it too given the family history so I have signed up earlier than usual for the mammograms just in case - to be honest I do not give it much thought. Not reacting to the symptoms can be fatal, which we have unfortunately witnessed in our family.

Nærmeste pårørende is the 4th Dicte book


Elsebeth Egholm is a Danish author that earlier this year revealed her breast cancer diagnosis to help raise awareness about breast cancer - I have read the first 4 books in the Dicte series (woman reporter that ends up in the middle of various crimes) and she released the latest (9th book) on August 1st.

I actually know a person that believes that the breast cancer cause gets too much attention. I totally disagree as I have heard about several incidences where was paid too little attention to symptoms thus ending badly - with awareness campaigns you reach more persons and you might just help them in time.

Last year I saw an ugly side of an awareness campaign for cancer - caused by people with MS: "What about us with MS?" they wrote on various medias, "They are taking away attention from us!" That made me very upset - they are forgetting something: When researchers are making new medicines/drugs, they often discover that other diseases might benefit from the new product too.

Yes I am supporting the awareness for breast cancer and I hope that I can show you tomorrow just how I am doing it this year.


No comments: