Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Knit in Comfort

Is the grass really greener on the other side? How many of us have not have thoughts like that when doubting if one is on the right track? But what exactly is the right track?

Well I am still pondering if I should not switch to a creative profession compared to the one I have now - Would it make me more ME? Will it make me happier? On the other side, I know that my crooked path until now has me me who I am - what has been handed (like the MS) to me may have forced me to make detours - but without these detours, would I ever have seen the Chinese Wall, the Pyramids of Giza, the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, San Francisco's Golden Gate, the Panama Canal?
 
Yes it can be daunting to check out the grass on the other side, but if you do not venture out there once in a while, will you end up regretting later on that you did not try? Other times one's own grass should be carefully maintained. Not all my decisions may have been wise, but at least I tried and some decisions ended giving me much more than I have hoped for.
 
 
 
Knit in Comfort by Isabel Sharpe - more chick-lit than the recent knit-lit I have read, but it deals with some of the things I pondered about in the beginning of this post.
 
Elizabeth Detlaff, the stranger from New York who arrives in the city Comfort, North Carolina because of a dream with her grandmother (babcia) and a radioprogramme mentioning the city's name. She is in need of some me time to figure out where her relation with her boyfriend Dominique is going, so Comfort seems to be the place that can guide her. She gets lodging at Megan Morgan's garage appartment and suddenly getting an unexpected view "behind the scenes" of this little town.
 
Megan, on the other hand, suddenly feels that Elizabeth has invaded her life - though she could use the money she gets from her new tennant - as Elizabeth is suddenly also invited to the Purls Before Wine Knitting Club as well as being eager to learn about knitted lace, a tradition, that Megan has inherited from her Shetland ancestors. But just maybe Elizabeth turns out to be just perfect to rattle Megan's life into a new direction?
 
Reading a book like this made me feel good - that I am not the only one who might be pondering about green grass elsewhere and that life sometimes just throws you curves that you can either pass or grab. Sometimes you just need a reminder about it.

No comments: