Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall......

One day the magazines tell you, that the mirror adds 5 pounds to your actual weight - the next they'll tell you that the mirrors show a prettier view than the actual view......

Hmmm.... regarding the latter - is that why a lot of people freak out when they see photographs of themselves??!! Well I hate pictures, where the photographer asks me to smile etc. I much rather have pictures that were taken without me knowing it... And that's why I take pictures when people expect it the least - and they are usually happy about the result...

Back to the mirrors:

A lot of people are uncomfortable when they see Magritte's painting - but that might be because he is provoking the viewers thoughts. Including me - but I recently discovered that my mood actually have a great influence on how I perceive a picture, painting etc.... And now I love it: when I am in a bad mood I see the back in the mirror - when I am in a good mood I actually think that I can see that man's face in the mirror....

But is the perception of a mirror influenced by the evil queens mirror in "Snow White"? Or more recently The Mirror of Eridsed from Harry Potter (the mirror that shows the deepest desires of the person looking into the mirror)?

You watch yourself getting older in the mirror - but then remember this: if you have seen old mirrors (at the old castles in ex. Europe), you would know that even mirrors fade with age.

Yep - two mirrors are hanging in my appartment... one of them is for decoration mostly..... the other one is used daily - especially just before I leave for my job in the morning :o) So does it adds or substract weight? Seriously - I believe that it takes you a while to see weight gain or loss in the mirror, because I see the reflection in the mirror everyday and changes like weight are gradually - not over night....

No comments: