Saturday, June 26, 2010

"If it looks like a duck....

.... swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Ever read "Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey? The opening quote in this blog, is not from this book - but it just popped into my head.



The book's story takes place in Boston, where you will also find about statue(s) in Boston Common. When I first saw this, I asked the owner of the bed-n-breakfast, where I stayed, what the inspiration was - and they told me: "the childrens' book". I bought a copy the following day.

During my stay, I contacted one of my friends and asked her to go to my appartment and take a picture of a poster, that is hangin on the wall, which looks like this:



If you know the book, it could have been the inspiration behind this 1959 poster from Wonderful Copenhagen - but it isn't. This poster is based on a true story near the lakes in the middle of Copenhagen, where the police stopped the traffic to save this little duck family.... and incidents like that still occur once in a while...

Imagine the surprise at the bed-n-breakfast when I showed them the photo :o)

This underlines the face, that you will be able to find stories around the world, that might match a story from another part of the world - in some cases the similarity turns into kinda like "Which came first: the hen or the egg?" It shows both the diversity and similarity of different countries... Love to find those examples.


No comments: