Thursday, July 29, 2010

8 Years and Counting....

... yet this is one of those things you wished you couldn't count...

Today is 8 years ago, that the diagnosis MS was given to me.... I was alone at the hospital, when the doctor told me... I was confused and speechless... But somehow relieved: I knew, what had put me in a wheelchair unable to walk.

Telling family, friends and colleagues the news was hard, but I got unexpected support from the lady in the hospital next to me. She is "confined" to her wheel chair due to irrevocable damages to her spinal cord - but she told me about all the possibilities: it was "simply" up to me to find them and embrase them. Of all people this stranger gave me the courage to TRY - trying to find out if I could get the ability to walk back, trying to find out if I couldn't go on the vacation, that I had booked for a couple of months later, trying to find out if I was still able to go to work.

Now I have regained 98% of my abilities - and I have accomplished much more, that I could ever imagine (even pre-MS diagnosis)... yes I am stubborn and dont want to give up... Yet I have to be alarmingly aware, that I might loose some of the abilities to MS... I "just" have to CARPE DIEM!!


Logo of the UK MS Society

Logo of the Danish MS Society

2 comments:

Judy said...

Every Christmas is my anniversary for receiving my MS diagnosis. Like you, my journey with the illness has had its terrifying moments and also its gifts. I'm glad you're doing so well.
Judy

Scientific Housewife said...

I have friends with MS and it's always a battle but I'm glad to hear of your success and triumph :)