Thursday, July 15, 2010

Inspiration to...knitting

The other day, a friend of mine asked me: "What was the inspiration that made you start knitting?" My reply was "I wanted to see if I could to it" - a challenge to my-self on my to-do list generated after I was diagnosed with MS.

Today I looked for something in the box with my knitting stuff, when I found a picture, which I had forgotten all about... It was a picture of a cool skarf worn by Julia Stiles' character in the movie Bourne Supremacy - I saw the movie at the cinema and afterwards I just wanted my own cool scarf just like that.



First knitting project however was not the scarf - I have actually never made it - that was a sweater, that a colleague back then persuaded me to do - turned out that she had been a knitter, since she was five years old. And just hearing her talking about yarn, patterns, ideas, projects and her familys ever growing wishlist for her knitted clothing....

Lately I have been inspired by the knitting novels by Maggie Sefton and Kate Jacobs - and have actually been knitting almost reguarly since I did the baby hat project earlier this year......

Where do you find your inspiration to the things you like ??

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

I was reading more of your blog and happened across this entry. This is very interesting, I don't traditionally knit -I have made hats and scarves using the little knitting looms (I know, cheating knitting) but I always wanted to learn how to knit. I should see if my mother still has the patience and stamina to try and teach me.

I was inspired to take up cross-stitching by a broken heart. I'd been dumped by my fiancee and feeling sorry for myself when I started to channel that boredom and sadness into something creative. Next thing I knew, I was happier and making things I loved and couldn't wait to get started on my next project. All in all, from lots of different perspectives, it was the absolute best thing to have happened to me! Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

By the way, I too have enjoyed the Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two - excellent books!