Sunday, September 11, 2011

Do You Remember.....

....what you did 10 years ago, when you heard about the unbelievable events in the US? Events that changed the world and enforced enhanced security in a lot of areas worldwide?

Remnants of WTC: The Sphere in Battery Park, NY

I remember my boss saying "The internet news says that a plane has crashed into World Trade Center in New York!!!"

My immediate reaction after checking the US time was "Luckily no one was up at the observatory seing the plane hit the building!".... then I went quiet.... those words came out of my mouth, since I some years before had been up at the observatory and seen the view...... then thinking about the vaster number of  people that went in and out of that builiding...

Then he said, another plane has hit..... total disbelief in the office - some of us recalled the van with the bomb a couple of years prior, but this was simply beyond imagination....then the Pentagon....

I was supposed to be a night school that day, but instead I went straight home and turned on CNN (only one student turned up for class - everybody else + the teacher was home watching the news) and did not turn off the tv until I went to work the next day - got some sporadic sleep - but was terrified by the attack on innocent people.

I shot this photo myself: I did not know about the monument until I was standing in front of it recognising it from outside the World Trade Center, thus creating tears in my eyes.

We owe it to the innocent people, that died due to these tragic events, to remember them and honour them.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I don't think anyone alive on that day can ever really forget.
Judy

Anne-Marie said...

I was in the dentist's waiting room. The TV was on, but with the sound turned off......I didn't get my check-up that day...I visit the site every time I go to New York, and am humbled to see what is being created from that devastation.