Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 17th - Æbleskiver (apple slices)


Another Danish tradition: æbleskiver. One should think, that they contains slices of apples, but that was in the old days. The best way to describe them is a similary to pancakes, just fluffed since they are made in a special æbleskive pan and you dip them in jam when eating them. At Christmas functions they are often served with glögg, the Scandinavian version of mulled wine.

In the period up to Christmas you can buy them frozen, and either heat them up in the oven, in the microwave or in the special pan - the best result you get when using the pan.

7 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Oh YUM! Just gained 5 pounds lookin' at 'em!

Birdie said...

Oh, excitement here..love them! My MIL made the best I've ever had and yes, sometimes there were apples in them. She's gone, her pan disappeared and after years of hunting I finally found one for me to make her recipe. Hubby does jam, me - maple syrup. Thanks for bringing back fond memories of a special lady.

Birdie said...

They liked calling them bullets because of their shape. Still smiling ;)

Karen said...

I saw a pan like this at the kitchen shop. I wondered what they were for! Those look delicious!

hckd said...

I have one of these pans.. I bought it from Williams Sonoma some years ago and they make pure yummy stuff.. I think now I shall have to pull mine out and make something as my family loved it last time ... : ) Your treats look delightful!

Cole Meyer said...

Mmmmm! Looks tasty!

Rosemary said...

Those look delicious, I think they would taste fantastic with a bit of jam and mulled wine. I love learning these traditional foods for Christmas!