Thursday, January 12, 2012

From Book to Movie: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Whenever there is a book, which I really loved reading, that is being made into a movie, I am always hesitant about going into the cinema and see it: Will it encapture what held my attention in the book? Did they cast the right actors for the book's characters? Is it true to the book.


Was a bit late on getting started at reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium books - frinds had been talking about the books for more than two years when I finally picked up the first one. Still a bit hesitant and wondering what the hype was all about and convinced that reading the book would take far longer than the long-haul flight I had to do. Ahmmm I was soo wrong about that - I forgot time and place and read the book from cover to cover in less time than the durating of that flight... bummed that I had brought #2 with me as well, and the 3rd had just been translated to my language. Two days after I returned home, the two next book was aquired and awaiting to be read :o)


Originally it was planned to make the first book into a movie, and the next two into a mini tv-series, but the movie's succes in Scandinavia convinced the moviemakers, that it should be 3 films. Saw all 3 at the cinema and just loved Noomi Rapace as Lisbet Salander... the actor playing Mikael Blomkvist seemed a little bit off... Locally the film had subtitles though a majority of us have no problems understanding the spoken English.


Last Sunday I went to the cinama to see the remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tottoo, which have received mixed reviews locally. I am a bit ehhh about the remake, albeit I think that Daniel Craig was a much better cast as Mikael Blomkvist than the Swedish actor, Michael Nyqvist, sames goes with Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgaard (oh well the latter is Swedish ;o) ) - but Noomi is still the best Lisbeth...

Always interesting to see how a non Scandinavian would interprete the book and our way of living, but this one was a fair job. A tad wierd though seing all the actors run around in Sweden speaking English while trying to pronounce the names with as much Swedish way of pronouncing them as possible......

3 comments:

claire7q said...

Afraid I've read neither the books nor seen any movies, but will say Daniel Craig can turn his hand to most things remarkably well :D

Birdie said...

I have wanted to read this and have a trip planned to library this week-end. Might have to see if a copy is around. Tend not to watch movie if I really loved the book for fear of disappointment myself. The mind is far greater in interpretation I think.

Sherri said...

i really loved all three books... like you, i read them cover to cover in no time flat, and back to back as well... i was smart for once and bought all three at the same time

i have yet to go see the movie... i too am always a bit timid to see a movie made from a book that i truly enjoyed...

the movie trailers look very interesting so i'm sure that as soon as it is available on vudu or netflix, well, i'll be watching