Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year - Year of the Dragon

When Fran called out for the January Tea Swap, she gave us two options of for the card, that is to follow the two tea samples sent to the assigned swap partner: The optional theme is: "Celebrations"; Optional Colors are: Blue and silver (or white).

I just knew, that  I had to do a card in connection with Chinese New Year and at the same time, the tri-fold technique has been lurking in the back of my head ever since I got a wonderful Christmas card from Karen using that technique.


Not the optional colours, but staying true to the colores used when the Chinese celebrates their New Year (also known as Spring Festival)


Was wondering for days, how to include a dragon on the card, as the New Year also marks the entering into year of the Dragon. The Order of the Opus Gluei Challenge #122: Take a picture, it will last longer gave me just the idea, so this is one of the rare occations where I use one of my photos in a card.


Never tied stamping on vellum before, and remembered that the description on a StazOn inkpad said "Appropriate for all surfaces" - so tried it on the "Ni Hau!" stamp, which is the chinese for "Hello" and it worked


This is a Chinese never ending knot.


The former type of Chinese coins. If you have 3 Chinese coins tied with a red string in your purse, it is believed, that you will never be without money. True, but I don't think that I can purchase anything with those locally.... and yet I actually have 3 Chinese coins with red ribbon in my purse :o)


This is a copy of the original photo, that I used on the card's front. At the grounds of Gyeongbokgung (Palace Greatly Blessed by Heaven) in Seoul, South Korea, you will find the all animals of the Chinese zodiac depicted as statues in a circle with this representing the Dragon.

I hope that Gill will like my card and the two teasamples with liquirice tea I sent to her (and yes Claire, there are others than me that like a cuppa liquirice tea).

6 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

These are beautiful cards...so talented

Karen said...

You've done a beautiful job!

scrapnhawaii said...

Now that is a BEAUTIFUL Card!!

Kristen H said...

I love these creative fold cards. The photo is awesome and I love the gorgeous papers that you used to create this card.
Love the colors so much. Happy year of the dragon, and thank you so much for joining in at the Opus Gluei!

Rosemary said...

Oh, I so love this! I love the intricacy of the folds and all the vibrant color and rich embellishments you've used! This is incredibly beautiful and you have used the traditional colors associated with the Chinese new year - WELL DONE!

I never knew that about the three coins and the red ribbon. Might explain a lot - ha ha!

Thank you so much for playing along with us at Opus Gluei, I hope we keep luring you back!

Jana said...

This card is gorgeous. I LOVE that you used a picture that you took. All of the details are perfect. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Opus Gluei.