Friday, May 4, 2012

Liberation Day


May 4th, 1945 at night: the Danish people received THE good news, that they had been longing for for more than 5 years - finally it came: Denmark is free!

To remember this day, we put a lit candle in every window at 8PM honoring those, who fought for our freedom.

Denmark is a small country, and had the people of Denmark fought back when Germany invaded us, I do not think that there would have been much left of our little country. There were resistance groups - my grandparents took part in one of them - and naturally they were doing something very dangerous. Others, especially sailors, contributed but sailing Jews accros the Oresund to Sweden in the middle of the night, as Sweden remained a neutral country all through WW2.

When Danish ask "Why are we lighting the light on May 4th" I get a little upset, that they do not know our country's history and encourage them to mark it in their calendar as light-a-candle day...

We need to remember.
We owe the people who endured WW2 to honour them.

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Anne, I am so glad you posted about this....I was almost completely ignorant of this tradition. I knew it existed, but didn't know why. Now, I will never forget.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

This is so patriotic of you...everyone should remember this

Vicky said...

What a poignant post.