Sunday, May 13, 2012

The World of Jane Austen



I see some of Emily Albright in me - booking a vacation where a part of it was a guided tour of Jane Austen's country....  I could also see myself working in a bookshop just like Emily..... And then what is the thing that got my attention the most when reading this book?

Stepping out of a comfort zone and go your own way? Think I am already doing that pursuing new crafty projects, going places that has never been on my must-go-to-someday-list.... But then there is the job thing where I am wondering, if I am where I am supposed to be?

The stories of Jane Austen have been great intertainment for years - have most of her books and have two versions of Pride and Prejudice on DVD - the BBC production with Colin Firth as Mr Knightley and the never movie version with Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet - so could easily sign up for a guided tour to the area from where Jane Austen got her inspiration.... Do like going to England so the idea is not too far fetched.

Then there is this atmosphere of Jane Austen's view on relation ships etc. that a lot of people has fallen in love with: The idea of finding a real-life Mr Darcy. "The Jane Austen Book Club" by Karen Joy Fowler touches a bit of that - though indirectly - but there are still references to the books of Jane Austen.

Yes, I will admit. I am a bit like Kathleen Kelly(Meg Ryan) in "You've Got Mail", that re-reads "Pride and Prejudice" and still hoping for Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy to fall in love every time I read it. Is there an significant other out there for me? I would like to think there is. A Mr. Darcy: Well have all the Elizabeth Bennet-like heroines ever been actively looking for him? Think I have to qoute Mr Darcy in "Bridget Jones' Diary" here: "I like you, very much. Just as you are." that are the words of a guy, that I want to meet.

So if you like me, love to read a good chick-flic and have a soft spot for Jane Austen novels in general, then you should pick up a copy of Alexandra Potter's book and read it. Happy that a friend gave me an opportunity to read this book :o)


2 comments:

Rosemary said...

I'm intrigued by this book, I'm a hopeless romantic as well. Nothing wrong with that, there's more of us out there than we realize! Thanks for the book suggestion!

Vicky said...

Will be on the look out for the book.
I have a wonderful husband but he is still no Mr Darcy.:)