Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Walkman

One headline in the news this morning really caught my eye: SONY is putting the Walkman on retirement...

OK - suddenly I started feeling very old, as I remember getting my first walman as a present from my brother.... Except the world Walkman is apparently a trademark registered with SONY, so therefore the Panasonic I got one is actually a stereo cassette player... I did not now that until today - and when asking my colleagues and friends, they all seemed to be surprised about Walkman actually being a trademark.

I still own that Panasonic, and it is still working - headphones however have been replaced a couple of times. A lot of language tapes are still in a box with the Panasonic - very handy if I need a quick brush up before going to a country speaking one of those languages :o) When I later got my first Discman I clinged on to the old one, as running with a Discman was impossible, and the old tapes still worked better - that was later on improved....

I now have an Ipod, that is able to hold soo much more music, that the old ones ever could.... and yet - my "walkman" will still be kept in the box and used once in a while.... and I have memories about Eurythmics, Tina Turner etc. playing in my ears.

2 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ohh I remember cassette players!! I won my first one from a box of Berry Berry Kix Cereal! hehe. I didn't know Walkman was just Sony? Oh. Retirement, wow yeah I feel a lil old too. =P

Rosemary said...

I too remember my first Walkman, I saved my money and bought it and treasured it (long gone now) - playing all my 80's favorites (Tina Turner - yes, David Bowie, Duran Duran, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, The Police, and so on and so on). End of an era. (sigh)