Saturday, October 15, 2011

It Is Not Only Rock Stars.....

...that die young after misuse of substances. I did not know that the French artist Toulouse-Lautrec died at the age of 36 due to alcoholism and syphilis, until I went to an exhibition of some of his artwork at Statens Museum for Kunst (National Gallery of Denmark).


I grew up with posters like this in the late 1970s, where you could find replicas in almost every home you went to (in the 1980's it was Monet replicas that were found in a lot of these home). Fond memories of them, as I remember looking closely at them and dreaming me into a world much like the one depicted. Was too young to realise, that is was mostly Montmartre and Moulin Rouge, that was captured in his works - for me it was some decadent art deco world, where women had astonishing clothes etc. The great laugh here is, that he is not representing art deco but impressionism :o)

Wandering around his works at the museum brought all the memories and fantasies back into my mind - something I thought long forgotten, almost like a déja-vu. Wonderful to get lost for a while in this time-pocket.

No comments: